– Boston University (B.A.)
– Masters Degree in Education (M.Ed) from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst
– Juris Doctorate (JD) from the University of Miami School of Law
– Elephants, Aardvarks and Me, a children’s book, published by Createspace.com (an Amazon company)
– Chapter: Corporate Counsel – the Business Judgment/Legal Advice Dichotomy Evolving Roles in the 21st Century, in the ebook The Most Important Corporate Law Lessons for CEOs Published by ExecSense, Inc.
– Boomer Shock: Preparing Communities for the Retirement Generation, published by Community Associations Press, Alexandria, Virginia (update in press)
– Self-Management: A Guide for the Small Community Association, also published by Community Associations Press, Alexandria, Virginia, now in its 3d edition.
– “Housing Trends for the 21st Century,” published in Marquette Elder’s Advisor
– “Litigation Involving the Developer, Homeowners’ Associations, and Lenders,” with E. Richard Kennedy
– Article entitled “Aging in Place – The Development of Naturally Occurring Retirement Communities” published in the inaugural issue of the Journal of Community Association Law
– Article entitled “Aging in Place: Naturally Occurring Retirement Communities and Condominium Living” published in Elder’s Advisor, The Journal of Elder Law and Post-Retirement Planning
– past co-editor of and current contributor to the Law Firm’s Community Up-Date newsletter
Community Associations Institute (CAI) National Service
– Past President of CAI National.
– Past President of the Community Associations Institute Foundation for Community Association Research.
– Past Commissioner for the National Board of Certification – Community Association Managers (“NBC-CAM”).
– Member of the National CAI Teaching Faculty – 1994 – 2012
– Contributing editor for Common Ground magazine.
– Past Member – Board of Governors, College of Community Association Lawyers
– 1994, CAI Outstanding Volunteer Service Award;
– Author of the Year, 1997-1998.
– 2002, CAI Distinguished Service Award
– 2003, CAI Outstanding Volunteer Service Award
– 2008, CAI Educator of the Year Award
– 2010, NBC-CAM Service and Leadership Award
– 2011, Becker & Poliakoff, P.A. Community Service Award
MEMBERSHIPS / ACTIVITIES:
– Member of the Florida Bar
– Member of The College of Community Association Lawyers
– Member of the Board of Advisors of the University of Miami School of Law Institute on Condominium and Cluster Developments
– Member of Board of Advisors for the Community Association Management Insider published by Brownstone Publishers, Inc.
– Lectures, teaches and speaks – throughout Florida, nationally and internationally at conferences, professional meetings, and colleges and universities, as well as the National Community Association Law Seminar, Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants, ARDA-Florida & Suncoast Community Associations Institute Resort Management Seminars, and annually, for the Firm’s Community Associations Workshops. Topics include: Aging in Place; Kinder and Gentler Covenant Enforcement; Federal Fair Housing Act Issues; “Working With Difficult People,” “Stress Management,” “Avoiding Burnout,” and “Trends in Community Associations for the 21st Century.”
Ms. de Haan specializes in the practice of Community Association Law, representing condominium, cooperative, timeshare and homeowner associations.